Vendor Spotlight: Amanda Allen of MMD Events
Posted on Friday, October 02 2015
It's no secret that we are obsessed with Amanda Allen, owner of Amanda Allen Designs and MMD Events. She is the epitome of being a fabulous #girlboss. A long time friend and mentor of Fondren's, Amanda is truly one of the most creative, artistic and talented women we know. She has an amazing ability to pinpoint a client's personality and turn their vision into something beyond their wildest dreams. Our shop's famous "flower wall" was HER idea. The fabulous black and white stripes seen throughout the boutique? That was Amanda too. She is Blush's own personal glam guru - and what's better.. she can be your #glamguru too! Aside from Blush, Amanda and her team at MMD Events have designed some of the most exquisite events in Southwest Florida. Celebrating 10 years in the Tampa Bay area, MMD Events is the go to event design and decor company for the discerning bride! Here, Amanda gives her advice to brides on how to select a style direction, staying true to your personality, her favorite trends and what she considers "splurge-worthy"! [caption id="attachment_729" align="aligncenter" width="640"]
Amanda Allen, owner of Amanda Allen Designs & MMD Events[/caption] 1) Tell us a little about yourself and MMD Events? MMD Events is a full service event design and décor company specializing in weddings and highly detailed corporate events. We moved our company from San Diego to Tampa 10 years ago this October and we love it here!
2) How did you get started in the wedding and event design profession? My mom is an incredible entertainer and she taught me so much about building layers of details to create perfection. I always carried that with me. In college I studied studio art because I had to be creative and as the wedding industry started to emerge as something more, Matt and I just knew we wanted to be a part of it. 3) What trends are you loving right now and what trends (if any) would you like to see disappear forever? I love that glam is back. Casual relaxed décor can be gorgeous and rustic will always be in style – but it’s so very nice to celebrate in style. I do love the mix of boho and glam – metals, velvets and crystals mixed with tapestries, silks and colors – it’s fresh, stunning and opulent all at the same time. I love anything over the top! Never say never – but I really don’t ever want to see mason jars used as vases again.
4) What are your tips for our blushing brides that just got engaged and have no idea where to start in terms of the design process for their big day? Start by standing side by side with your significant other and looking in the mirror – who are you? Really look. I’m always surprised when brides and grooms make decisions that are so opposite of their personalities. Choose a rad venue that really embodies you as a couple – and then go searching for a dress that fits both you and the style of your venue. That’s how you start – everything trickles down from there. 5) What is your favorite part of assisting a bride and her family design their dream wedding? It’s a happy time – there’s nothing better than working with happy people during happy times.
6) Is there a particular thing a bride absolutely should not skimp on? Hmmmm – everything? Lol, no seriously my best money advice is to look at things in terms of over- all effects. Expensive flowers on cheap short linens with ugly chairs is simply a waste of expensive flowers. Balance and weigh the effects of everything. 7) Let's talk wedding attire: do you have a favorite bridal gown style/trend? I love how illusion netting has come back in such a big way, I love the sculpted tulle ball gown skirts and I love all the amazing head pieces brides are wearing.
8) How do you recommend couples personalize their wedding? Going back to my earlier point – really start by making decisions that fit you – everything will feel customized. 9) Is there a wedding or event that stands out as your most memorable to design? My first “ship wreck chic” wedding at the Ritz Carlton in Sarasota got moved inside because of bad weather – the whole thing was literally designed to be outdoors on the beach. Our whole team worked hard to pull it together and it ended up being one of my favorite weddings ever. The bride and groom had amazing style and it showed at every turn.
10) How can brides get in touch with you should they need assistance? Website: www.mmdevents.com | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
| Phone: (813)443-5235
Thank you, Amanda, for taking the time to share your advice!